Sunday, January 8, 2012

Turkey and Mustard

 
For three weeks I attempted to ignore the ominous reality that freedom from increasing intelligence only lasts for so long. Like a microcosmic summer for a brief moment I stripped out of my restrictive responsible student persona and the nudity of foolish adolescence once again streaked freely for a short moment (figurative nudity, naturally). As the clock ticked toward the impending doom of winter semester I made a feeble attempts to prepare my body and mind for the storm ahead. I bought books and carefully examined my class schedule and made minor modifications; however despite these feeble efforts to prepare myself some childish rebel part of my personage that hasn't yet been completely decimated by years of planning and reason still fought to convince myself that the day of doom wouldn't ever arrive.
The books and the schedules couldn't convince that minor sector of my persona that breaks always come to a rude ending; the summers and the Christmases last only for a brief moment and then they vanish and reality ensues. As the first day of class rolled onto the calendar this foolish sub-person was still in denial that school could really be starting. The harsh ring of my alarm before the break of dawn, the packing of my backpack, and the high stress level, didn't seem to do the trick. It wasn't until the scent of mustard and turkey, my daily sandwich combo, wafted into my nostrils that the chimerical imp within put up the white flag and admitted that like all good things (youth, green foliage on the mountain side, cake, Michael Jackson), breaks always come to an end. The scent that entered my nostrils on the day of January 4 symbolized the truth that I still have up to 10 years of schooling and the slavery of an occupation looming ahead. All I can say is thank heavens for good food, like turkey and mustard which makes it all worth it.
Wishing you and yours a very happy semester or life (for those who haven’t sold it a institution for higher education!
Mine truly,
Seth Cannon the beautiful, the conceited etc.

2 comments: